Friday, December 9, 2016

Food and Religion (Revised)



Food is typically a place of discovery mainly when you reach a certain age especially in the Catholic Church. During the lent season, Catholics are to avoid eating meat on Friday, while Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fasting. These traditions usually affect the entrees for our dinners and meals on certain days especially if I eat from the school cafeteria. I commonly forget that I must observe the culinary traditions on Ash Wednesday and Good Fridays. The food restrictions always seem unreasonable as I don’t quite understand the reason for the restrictions. Why must we follow these traditions every year? In a similar way, I observe lent by giving up on chocolate or video games. Do I have to give up meat as well?

Later in my life, I realize the whole notion of giving up on meat. I learn that meat is considered a luxury item back then, so not eating meat symbolizes a return from pleasure and lust to simplicity. People in my generation typically have the most abundant life compared to other generations. Any moment to return to necessities allows us to enjoy what we have in our lives. My current views on religion as a Catholic represent a better understanding of what my faith really means by what we do. Food allows me to better learn more about my faith.

 Original - http://english101jn.blogspot.com/2016/09/food-and-religion.html

No comments:

Post a Comment