Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Food and Religion



Food is typically a place of discovery mainly when you reach a certain age especially in the Catholic Church. During the lent season, Catholics are to avoid eating meat on Friday, while Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fasting. These traditions usually affect the item choices for our dinners and meals on those day especially if I eat from the school cafeteria. Every time I eat the “fish” from the cafeteria, I question if this is even fish. The food restrictions always seem invaluable as I don’t understand the reason for the restrictions. Why must we follow these traditions every year?
Later in my life, I see the whole notion of giving up on meat. I learn that meat is considered a luxury item back then, so not eating meat symbolizes a return from pleasure and lust to simplicity. People in my generation typically have the most abundant life compared to other generations. Any moment to return to necessities allows us to enjoy what we have when we have it back. My views on religion as a Catholic represent a better understanding of what my faith really means by what we do. Food allows me to better learn more about my faith.

1 comment:

  1. Good job content-wise! I see a few grammatical and word-choice errors, however. Good last sentence!

    Grade: Check

    ReplyDelete